15 year old Eilish is halfway through making a Hunger Games graphic novel NewsTimes reports.


n September 2010, in her eighth-grade English class at Immanuel Lutheran School in Danbury, Eilish Nobes was assigned to read "The Hunger Games" -- the best-selling novel by Newtown author Suzanne Collins, which has since been made into a movie that is now showing in theaters.
"If it wasn't for that assignment, I probably wouldn't have ever picked up the book (which is part of a trilogy) because I thought it was about birds. On the cover of all three `Hunger Games' books is a picture of a bird," said Eilish, who is now 15.
Not only did she read the book, by the end of that summer she had read the entire series. She enjoyed the stories so much she created a graphic novel from the first five chapters of the trilogy.
She plans to eventually complete a graphic novel for the rest of the book.
In a recent interview at her home, Eilish spoke about her passion for art and her fascination with the "Hunger Games" trilogy.
Q: You are so talented! Your work is amazing and so detailed. How long have you been interested in art?
A: I've been drawing since I was in kindergarten. In elementary school, I started drawing comic book characters and began coming up with my own characters. In middle school, I would draw pictures of movie stars and such.
My drawing of a lion became my school's mascot in the school newspaper. On a wall in the science building at my high school, I designed a seascape mural.
Q: What is a graphic novel? How did you make this?
A: It's in between a comic book and an actual novel. It has all the comic strip components in that it has many pictures, but it also has enough words and storytelling to resemble a novel.
To make the graphic novel, I first took a pencil and underlined whatever I thought was important in the book. Then I wrote those words in my novel.
Since the book has no pictures, I based what the characters look like on my own imagination. As long as you have a good story line to it, it doesn't matter what the picture is. You just have to be creative.
Q: Why are you so interested in "The Hunger Games?" I hear you have already seen the movie four times.
A: Well, I was also into the "Twilight" and the Percy Jackson series and created a lot of graphic pictures and scenes from these series.
Yet I connected with Katniss' character (in "The Hunger Games") more than the others, because she's a strong character who doesn't change what she believes.
I love being a tomboy like her, and I don't care what people think of me. I dress and wear what I like. I read books and watch shows that I like, even if they are not the same as my friends.
I also like the adventure in the movie and the guys!
Q: Would you like to have a career in art one day?
A: I would like to work in the movie business. I would design the set and costumes or be an animator. I am absolutely in love with show business. It's kind of cool to see what the crew does behind the scenes.