The Meaning
UPDATE: Congrats to Suzzane Collins, Taylor Swift, and Lionsgate for Safe and Sound making it to the top single on itunes. This is quite a feat to fly to the top of the charts in about 18 hours. 


Safe and Sound is most likely about Rue's death. When I hear the song I can picture Katniss placing flowers in Rue's hair. The emotion in that scene is expressed greatly in this song. Even in the recent hours there has been some speculation on the meaning of Safe and Sound, but we compared the book and song and this is what we found:)

"Don't Go" Rue tightens her grip on my hand. - Suzzane Collins


"Course not staying right here" - Suzzane Collins

"Good and Safe" (Katniss) - Suzzane Collins


Just Close Your Eyes - Safe and Sound


I remember when you said don't leave me alone - Safe and Sound


Nobody can hurt you know - Safe and Sound


These were taken from Safe and Sound and The Hunger Games (We own nothing)